The Isiolo County Assembly has set new public participation dates after a fresh motion of impeachment against Governor Abdi Guyo was tabled.

On Wednesday, Sericho MCA Abubakar Godana withdrew an earlier notice of motion for impeachment of governor Guyo and tabled a fresh one following a court order stopping the motion tabled on June 10.

The public participation forums are set for Tuesday June 24 across the wards ahead of debate on Thursday.

Isiolo MCAs who are pushing for the impeachment of the Governor were on Wednesday afternoon evacuated in a police armored carrier as the security situation escalated at the county headquarters. 

Tensions flared outside the county assembly after supporters of the governor learnt of the fresh impeachment bid.  

The move was meant to counter a court order issued on Monday stopping debate on the notice of motion dated June 10. 

Sixteen out of 18 MCAs have vowed to proceed with impeachment even after governor Guyo extended an olive to the ward representatives. 

On Tuesday, governor Guyo addressed a crowd of supporters at the county headquarters vowing that ‘he was going nowhere’.

“I recognise that the MCAs are elected leaders just like me and that they represent the people. They are good people but they have been influenced by a few people on this matter of impeachment. I will look for them so that development programmes do not stall due to political fights,” Mr Guyo said.

Despite the appeal for talks, on Wednesday, MCAs discreetly arrived at the assembly premises by the break of dawn keen on undertaking the day’s business. 

“During the sitting, a fresh notice of motion for the impeachment of the Governor of Isiolo was officially tabled by Hon Abubakar Abdi Godana. This followed the withdrawal of an earlier motion filed on June 10, 2025. The new motion is expected to proceed in accordance with the constitutionally required timelines and procedure…,” read a statement published in the county assembly’s official Facebook Page. 

According to the statement issued by the County Assembly Speaker Mohamed Roba, Mr Yussuf Hajj was sworn in as the acting clerk after Mr Salad Boru was sent on compulsory leave. 

Clerk Salad Boru who was sent on compulsory leave.

On Monday, Speaker Mohamed Roba sent the Clerk on Compulsory leave and called on the Auditor General to conduct a forensic audit of the assembly’s operations.

However, Boru has since obtained a court order for his reinstatement.

But despite having been sent on Compulsory leave on June 16, Boru published a notice in the national dailies stopping the public participation forums on impeachment of Governor Guyo.

The governor has accused the county assembly speaker of leading the attempt to have him ousted from office.

However, news of the presence of the MCAs in the Assembly drew crowds of supporters and opponents early in the morning. 

As the MCAs proceeded with their work, charged protesters engaged the police in running battles disrupting transport and business in Isiolo town. 

Speaker Roba had to issue a clarification denying reports that he had resigned from the position, even as a fake letter was circulated on social media. 

Police lobbed teargas canisters to disperse rival groups who barricaded roads with stones.   

Earlier, Isiolo County Commissioner Geoffrey Omoding said police officers had been deployed at the county assembly and governor’s office to avert clashes between rival camps.

“The challenge is that the county assembly and the governor’s office share the same compound. Supporters from both camps have accessed the area and each is trying to send out alarmist information. We have asked the police to ensure all members of public leave to allow the MCAs to do their work,” Omoding said.

Speaker Roba, in the statement said goons stormed the county assembly chamber as MCAs were exiting. 

A video footage shared online shows vandalized and damaged Hansard equipment strewn on the floor of the debate chamber. 

“This reckless and unlawful act appears to have been a deliberate attempt to intimidate Members and interfere with the constitutional operations of the County Assembly. The Office of the Speaker unequivocally condemns this incident and calls upon national security agencies to take immediate and decisive action to identify and bring the perpetrators to justice. The safety and sanctity of the Assembly must never be compromised,” Speaker Roba said. 

He said no form of intimidation would stop the County assembly from “executing its constitutional mandate of legislation, oversight, and representation on behalf of the people of Isiolo.” 

The political feud has left residents divided with some supporting while others oppose the impeachment drive.

Earlier, a section of elders called for dialogue between the governor and the MCAs instead of the impeachment process, while a section of residents have backed the MCA’s oversight role of impeaching the governor.

He said despite being accused of having failed in his mandate, he has initiated many development programmes in the county. 

“I am accused of having done nothing in Isiolo yet a lot of development programmes are ongoing. I have improved the health sector by employing more medics. We have completed an emergency unit with a 14 bed High Dependency Unit. We have done a lot of work in supplying water to the residents,” the governor said.

He said his administration has sunk 68 boreholes across the county to increase access to safe and clean water in the arid county.   

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here