Former Meru Governor Peter Munya has sharply criticized the government of President William Ruto accusing it of being “totally out of touch” with the realities facing Kenyans, citing rising taxes and fuel prices as some of the issues burdening the citizens.
He insisted that citizens are already preparing to vote the administration out in the next General Election for failing to find solutions to the problems the country is currently facing.
Speaking at Three Steers Hotel in Meru town, Munya announced the postponement of a planned opposition tour in Meru, which had been set to begin on May 20.
He said the tour has now been rescheduled to run from June 4 to June 8, 2026, adding that the delay was meant to allow room for further discussions on fuel prices and the wider economic pressure affecting Kenyans.
Munya accused the government of being disconnected from the problems facing citizens, saying its leaders appear more focused on foreign trips and international projects while Kenyans continue to struggle with economic hardship.
“We have a government that is totally out of touch with the reality facing the people. That is why you see them travelling when the country is in crisis. You even have a government that wants to set up projects in other countries. It is a clueless government,” said Peter Munya.

Munya defended the decision to postpone the opposition meetings, saying the move is intended to create space for broader engagement on fuel pricing and the cost of living, which he said remain key concerns for many households across the country.
In addtion, Munya hit out at the government-to-government (G-to-G) fuel import arrangement, alleging that it has been turned into a system that enables cartel networks to make massive monthly profits while ordinary Kenyans continue to face high fuel costs.
He alleged the arrangement is being abused under the cover of official state dealings.
“In fact, we have information that under the current arrangement, even before the recent price increases, cartels have been making KSh 19 billion every month from that G-to-G arrangement. God knows how much they are making after the current increase,” alleged Munya.
He also accused government officials of repeatedly blaming former President Uhuru Kenyatta for current economic challenges, including fuel pricing and tax-related issues, saying such claims are misleading.

Munya said continued references to the retired Head of State reflect refusal by some leaders to take responsibility for decisions made under the current administration.
“It is distasteful for some of these immature ministers in this government to keep talking about a retired president as if he is the one who started the G-to-G arrangement or as if he is the one who keeps telling them to increase taxes every day,” said Munya.
Nonetheless, Munya claimed that the Kenya Kwanza administration has already lost public confidence, saying the idea of a “one-term” presidency has gained traction across every corner of Meru County including distant villages.

He warned leaders supporting the government that political consequences await them, arguing that public frustration is on the rise and will eventually be reflected at the ballot in the 2207 General Election.
“Anybody who is in this government should continue eating well, and if possible maintain that lavish eating permanently, because Kenyans are tired and they will send all of you home. You will all go home,”said Munya.
Edited by John Majau






