Former Agriculture Cabinet Secretary Peter Munya has launched a scathing attack on President William Ruto’s administration, accusing it of shifting economic woes to former President Uhuru Kenyatta.
Speaking to the media at Three Steers Hotel in Meru on Tuesday, May 19, Munya said the government should stop invoking Uhuru’s name whenever questions arise over the rising cost of living, fuel prices and the struggling economy.
“Uhuru is not running this government. He served his term and left office but whenever this administration fails, they drag his name whenever they are facing economic hardship ,” said Munya.

The former Meru governor criticised leaders in the Kenya Kwanza administration for what he termed as “excuses and diversionary politics” at a time when ordinary Kenyans are grappling with high fuel prices, increased taxation and a harsh economic periods.
Munya particularly took issue with the ongoing fuel crisis, alleging that powerful oil cartels were benefiting from the government-to-government ( G-to-G) petroleum importation plan while wananchi continue to suffer.
“They introduced the Government-to-Government oil importation arrangement claiming it would stabilise fuel prices, but what Kenyans are witnessing is exploitation because some cartels are pocketing billions every month while the cost of fuel keeps rising,” he claimed.
He alleged that the programme had turned into a money-making scheme benefiting a few senior government officials at the expense of poor Kenyans.

The Party of National Unity (PNU) leader warned that Kenyans were rapidly losing patience with the rising cost of essential commodities and challenged the government to urgently provide solutions.
“If they cannot solve the fuel crisis and restore confidence in the economy, then they should accept they have failed and vacate office because leadership is about responsibility, not endless blame games,” Munya added.
At the same time, the former Cabinet Secretary criticised Interior Cabinet Secretary Kipchumba Murkomen over recent remarks linking former President Kenyatta to the country’s current political and economic challenges.
Munya termed the remarks irresponsible and accused Murkomen of neglecting pressing security concerns, especially the persistent banditry attacks in parts of Meru and neighbouring counties.
“Instead of focusing on tribal politics and blaming former leaders, the Interior CS should concentrate on protecting Kenyans. People are dying due to insecurity and banditry attacks, yet the government appears more interested in political rhetoric,” he said.
According to Munya, insecurity in parts of Meru has claimed more than 145 lives, with residents continuing to live in fear due to recurring attacks by armed bandits.
He faulted the Interior Ministry for what he described as failure to contain the violence despite repeated promises by the government to restore order in affected areas.
Munya further expressed concern over ongoing negotiations aimed at reducing fuel prices, saying Kenyans were hoping the talks would produce tangible results rather than become another political public relations exercise.
“We hope these discussions are genuine and not just a gimmick meant to buy time. Kenyans need practical solutions because the country is facing serious economic difficulties,” he added.
The opposition-allied leader also announced that planned political campaigns across the Eastern region had been postponed in solidarity with Kenyans on going fuel crisis .

Munya said opposition leaders had agreed to suspend the much-publicised tours that had been scheduled for late May, with the meetings now expected to take place between June 4 and June 7.
He maintained that leaders must stand with citizens during difficult times instead of engaging in political blame games.
Edited by John Majau






